Monday, March 19, 2012

Writing for Free.

It seems there is a cadre of authors out there, some who have had marginal success, and some who have had a good deal of it, who are against new writers who want to get their name out there. Let me clarify. They are not against us personally, but the fact that some of us publish our stories for free in anthologies. Now these anthologies can be purchased on line and in stores, both in eBook and paperback, but the authors receive no residuals. I will be the first to say it sucks. However, the point for me, and I think many others in my place, is to have a story in a book that people will read so when I am out there on my own, or try to get something else done, my name will be recognized. Some say I will be known for giving away my work and now one will want to pay me ever. Etc, etc. Recently a review for a book I was in got a good review and it mentioned some of the authors in it who were also unpaid, and it went on to say there were some good stories by writers new to the reviewer. That's my point. If the story was enjoyed, or just liked or even so horrible it was remembered there is that recognition that maybe next time I will have a reader eager to pick something up I wrote. And if not, who cares? It is my story and I can do whatever I want with it, or am I wrong?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?